the Medication Merry-Go-Round

Psychedelic-mermaid meets med-head

I’m writing this from a drug-induced haze of dizziness and strange perceptions.
I feel tipsy and disorientated,
sick and unsteady, but my head isn’t clearing.
(I’m told it will. Hopefully s○○○ner than later.)

Hope this post is appropriate, it’s not so spiritual yet.
(Best not to publish while under the influence, is it.
SO grateful for the spell-check, normally ignored ~ typs galore!)

This isn’t any fun
I’m not even tripping on an illegal drug

More like tripping over prescriptions and packets of pills
I can’t even think ~~ ○˚

˚○ ~~ in a straight line.
I’m spending my time
wondering why I’m here (literally).

˚○ ~~ What I was doing before I came to be wherever I am now?

Puppy Co-Pilot

You’re not safe. Give me the keys, I’ll drive.

I can’t concentrate to meditate
or clear my mind to do reiki.
I’ve had to give up on classes and courses.

We nearly got hit by a cop car just,
because I thought the siren was coming from somewhere else.

○˚~~
I was distracted by the seagull waving at me.

Of course, it could’ve been just flapping its wings with a smile on its beak.
They do that you know.

The fur babies were c○○l with it tho’
We’re going to the park ~ ○˚~ happyhappy.

Prescription medications are meant to make you feel better.

Aren’t they? Aren’t they?!
I just want to flush mine down the toilet.

Here’s why…

The EU revoked the license of the MS drug that keeps me awake and functioning, because of its harmful long-term affects. So my new consultant is reducing their dosage. I shouldn’t complain. It’s what my teachers have been suggesting for years.
It’s still a bit of a shock though.
I liked the way the brain stimulant Modafinil energised me cognitively and physically. Who wouldn’t? MS zombie to an almost normal person in one easy pill 🙂  ~  And back again in one less.

But – and here’s the killing shot – Tegretolthe new epilepsy pills that consultant’s put me on are magnifying the resulting zombie effect so much, that if I was taking the full dose I’m meant to, I couldn’t even sit upright, let alone work out how to write this.
(Sorry fellow bloggers for any late replies, the keys my fingers normally find so easily keep swimming away from me and hiding.)

The Moral? (o_O)

I think that what my teachers have told me before is true.
Despite my initial disinclination to believe them (I did used to be an OT), I must admit that yes. I acquiesce. Is medication from the medical profession mostly a scam? Mistakenly pushed by well meaning doctors who are as confused as we are as to the validity of the dis-ease / wellness scale?

Or at least when the medics see a patient – they look at us, see someone with something broken. Something that needs fixing with pills and a potion. Not a person who would benefit from a holistic approach that would enable the physical or mental ‘break’ to heal itself.

nb. I haven’t flushed my prescription meds down the toilet – yet – and I’m not suggesting anybody else should either.
I’m merely sharing this question for folk to ponder ~
just how much good are the legal pills doing us all?

¯\(°_o)/¯

What do you guys think?….

Of Note ~

Sparkyleegeek’s Blog: Ritalin:I’m just Whacky
On the short-sightedness of medics – First Things First

Image credits:
Psychedelic-mermaid-jenjen_bunny-30718479 (without the pop-up med head).
Puppy on scooter, JasBaku

1. gita4elamats
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 00:54:23

Reblogged this on ELANA – The Voice of the Future and commented:

Or at least see a patient when they look at us, with something broken. Something that needs fixing with pills and a potion. Not a person who would benefit from a holistic approach that would enable the physical or mental ‘break’ to heal itself.

2. gita4elamats
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 01:06:21

This might be relevant:
    ‘During the last Welcome Session for new students, a doctor shared why he was inspired to join Integrative Nutrition after his patient said this to him:

“You always ask about my condition, but you never ask about how
    I’m living and what I do in my life that affects it.”

That’s the moment he realized that he no longer wanted to just treat his patients’ health concerns, he wanted to do more—he wanted to help them heal their whole lives.’

3. stockdalewolfe
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:07:40

Having tried almost every anti-psychotic, anti-depressant and anti-seizure drug known, I have run the gamut of side effects. I am very sorry for what you are going through though it is not clear to me what kind of drug Modafinil is. I will look it up. You have MS? What I would say is to give the drug a few days and if the side effects don’t clear up ask for a change and say you can’t tolerate the side effects. The doctors have to experiment with drugs because they cannot predict how any one patient will respond to a drug. For example, I am hypersensitive to anti-psychotics and so blessedly am helped by a low dose. But the first few days of the drug I literally crawled out of bed and was terribly dizzy. Those effects subsided and I am on the drugs some 20 years later. But it took a long time to find the right mix. And you wonder if the doctor is a quack but I don’t think so. My doctor was kind enough to take my side effects seriously. Some drugs were a definite no go. Pharmaceutical straight jackets in which I could not function.
    Which is all to say, hang in there, give it a shot and tell the doctor about all side effects and ask for a change if your body does not adapt. I wish you well. It can come out for the best but you and your doctor have to work together. You could give him a call and tell him what you are experiencing or wait a couple of days and see. Good luck, my friend.
    Yours in Reiki, too,
    Ellen

Feb 19, 2013 @ 04:49:15

Thank you Ellen I appreciate your advice, but I’m only just reading these comments properly now, and I’ve stopped the epilepsy pills already. I’d been on them for something like 10 days when I wrote this article. I’d been cutting them down (literally), and it still took me days to do. Even a half a low dose felt like a hangover. I hate not being able to meditate or think clearly, and I’m the only carer for my furbys. I couldn’t afford to give it any more time.

To be honest I’d rather not be taking any drugs at all. I’m sure none of us want to, and it’s a high ideal. I’ve been on anti-spasticity drugs for years. But experimenting with drug cocktails is a backwards step I’m not prepared to take. Nor was my consultant prepared to stop and listen to my side. Your meds sound like they work well for you and you have a good doctor, which is all to the good.
      I guess we all have to find our own way through the maze, don’t we.

* Modafinil is a brain stimulant which energises you mentally and physically. It was abused by students and shift-workers, which contributed to its downfall.

• stockdalewolfe
        Feb 19, 2013 @ 14:39:44

I am so sorry about your medication problems. I think lots of people gave good advice. Maybe you want to try another medical expert. And, of course, one can investigate Homeopaths, Nutritionists and Herbalists. I hate taking the medication but it is my only way to function. It takes away my easy access to mysticism but I could not share it in that state. I have to compromise. Will put you in my prayers. It is always a trade-off but you sound like you are back to your normal self. Those anti-epileptics are horrid!! Good luck to you, dear Jas. May you find a solution you can live with.

Feb 20, 2013 @ 07:28:53

Didn’t they? Good advice and just so much love on here and on Facebook.
          It’s all definitely lifted me, and strengthened my resolve to find an alternative route to health. I have started seeing a herbalist, and my spiritual teachers and friends are really helping.
          Your compromise sounds most sensible. We have to work with what we’re given in this life, don’t we. The choices we have to make can be uncomfortable as well. Without other medication (eg. anti-spasticity pills) I wouldn’t be able to function much, so I’m still on all that, but again, with an eye to reducing the dose.
          The anti-epileptics were horrid! It’s awful that folk have to take those things to survive.
          But you do Reiki! Such a powerful practice, both for yourself and others. If you do distance healing and you’re ever into doing a mutual treatment, I’d be well up for it!

• stockdalewolfe
            Feb 20, 2013 @ 14:44:14

I am very glad you are seeking alternative means to help and hope you get good guidance from friends, teachers, and practitioners of alternative medicine.
            Would love to do a distant healing exchange. I am a Reiki Master and do distant healings for folks who are in need. Do you practice on others, too? I do occasionally. My faith in Reiki is weak but nevertheless I do Reiki everyday. What time zone are you in? I am in EST. Do you want to do it simultaneously? Or do you think we would take on each other’s ills.

Feb 25, 2013 @ 20:27:54

Yes, the alternative path seems to be the way to go. Reiki especially has been immediately successful. That has been the proof for me – feeling the effects, and actually seeing others benefit is amazing! And I’ve only recently started Reiki II. My experience so far has been that one or more folk take turns working on an individual. (make sense?) My favourite is working on animals =^••^=
              I’ve had a few others interested in a Reiki share, but I’m not sure how feasible it is. We’ve all got such different lives! I’m in GMT, so it’s actually 8:30pm just now if that helps (past my bedtime).
              Yes there is sometimes some empathic experience of others’ ills, but I’ve not found it problematic before, more of an indicator of where to focus. Has it been a concern for you?

• stockdalewolfe
                Feb 26, 2013 @ 01:27:40

Oh, I love doing Reiki on animals, too!! Did some on a dying dog a week ago. Very special. Used to do it on our dog all the time and she lived to 17 and 1/2. I would love to do it more for animals and have written to our vet but some are still reluctant to do any alternative medicine. Mainly I do sessions alone with individuals– not many and not often but regular distants as sort of volunteer work for those who need it. You are about 8 hours ahead of EST I think, right? I can do it one morning around 9 EST if that works for you. No, a friend of mine insisted that one can take on other’s ills by doing Reiki but I don’t think so. I was just raising the issue because I never asked my Reiki teacher if two people doing distants on each other at the same time would be okay or not. But we can do it different times. See what you think.

Feb 28, 2013 @ 17:49:27

The alternative medicine side of things is looking up 🙂 Friends have supplied Vit D, Q 10 and Aloe Vera (which possibly tastes worse than Valerian!). Going to see a herbalist soon as well.
                  About the Reiki, yes animals do respond well to that energy don’t they. Working with a vets would be great, but it would probably need someone who was into Reiki for themselves, wouldn’t it. My furbs love it! The 7 yr old Lhapso is noticeably fitter since we started. Your dog lived to a good old age too.
                  ==^º‿ º^==
                  Asides from that I’ve got a few proper clients and treat friends when I can. Must admit I did do my first proper treatment since attuning to Reiki II yesterday, and walked away with the lady’s pain! It’s good she felt better, but had to do some work on myself later on.
                  I can’t do math though, what time would 9am EST be for me? I’ll ask my teacher as well, but if not, the doing it at different times would be fine. That’s happening with a few others right now. Certainly makes it easier for all concerned.
                  Thanks for your interest Ellen, I love that we’re reaching out across the world for mutual healing 乂⍲‿⍲乂 ❤

• stockdalewolfe
                    Feb 28, 2013 @ 20:17:20

So glad things are better with you. It sounded pretty bad there for awhile. So sorry. I have had similar things happen. In fact, I can’t drive because I can’t block out visual stimuli to focus on what’s important and can’t tell where sounds are coming from, like you said. I admire that you can drive. Don’t know if my problem is from the medication or the Bipolar/OCD/Asperger’s mix.
                    Meantime if I do Reiki tomorrow, Friday AM at 9, it will be 2PM your time. Think that is right. Looked it up on a time converter. Is that okay for you? Shall I do it? We can figure out when you will do mine some other time.
                    Yes, it is nice to share across the seas and exchange. Meantime sending you good energy and thoughts.
                    Ellen

Mar 04, 2013 @ 14:35:59

Sorry for the late reply Ellen, only just seen this! (The replies have got too long to appear on my phone and your avatar changed on the mac.) But these things do knock you for six, don’t they ♡ Thanks for your love ♡ It was all a bit horrid for awhile, but I’m back now, albeit with a reduced level of function.
                      I can’t drive anything above a disability scooter these days; but I got an all terrain one, which is fun!
                      Ugh – it’s scary when the meds replicate the disease symptoms, isn’t it. I must say I don’t trust big pharma at all. Good that you’re settled on yours tho.
                      That’s why Reiki is so good!! Thank you for the positive energy – please, yes, send some whenever suits. I’ll be sending you some too 🙂 I normally do distant healing at 11am, though I could try for 2pm. And maybe we can just send each other healing whenever suits? What do you think?
                      x

4. saymber
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 13:00:46

I feel your pain hun. Back in Nov 2002 I had a horrible manic episode in a parking lot and ended up in the psych ward for about a week. They put me on Depakote, Wellbutrin and can’t remember what else! For weeks I felt like a newborn vegetable with a frontal lobotamy….wierd word picture but honest. Buffy the Vampire Season 6 is what got me through it lol. Now I’m just on two meds (thank goodness for my current doctor getting me off Depakote and Wellbutrin!). It takes time to find the right combination and less is more. Finding holistic tools really helps – exercise, sleep, diet, talk therapy, meditation, writing, art, photography, crafts, volunteer work….hang in there and be patient with yourself. Be honest with your doctor and help him/her help you get back to some sense of balance.

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:06:32

Thanks, It’s horrid feeling like that, isn’t it. Somewhere you do not want to be. Less is definitely more. I can relate to your weird image. I think The MS affects my frontal lobe somewhat, and it does change you.
      The holistic tools are the key aren’t they, which is logical really. How can you treat a person properly, without treating their whole?

I’ve another appointment to see that consultant in 6 months, and I’m in no rush to see him again. He didn’t listen the first time, so I’ve no faith in his judgement. I’m listening to my intuition and spiritual teachers instead.

• stockdalewolfe
      Mar 06, 2013 @ 15:54:40

11 AM is fine with me for your healings. I will do 2PM your time on Fridays and maybe one other day of the week. Glad you got your disability scooter. Happy to do this Reiki exchange. Good thoughts.

Feb 14, 2013 @ 02:50:01

乂⍲‿⍲乂 ❤ ॐ

Thank you all so very much (((((Cosmic Loti friends))))) I felt so crap when I wrote this, but your loving support really does lift me up. And your prayers truly are guiding lights in a murky world.
    The above was a frustrated outburst. But after posting this, and missing yet another class, I’ve indeed flushed the epilepsy meds. They weren’t my idea, or necessary, and given a choice, I’d rather be able to think straight than walk straight.
    Much ❤ n oxoxoxoxo’s to you all coz yous are all beautiful.
    Wishing you all happiness and smiles.

(* hope to reply in more detail later on too)

• gita4elamats
      Feb 14, 2013 @ 02:56:34

I am so glad you’re feeling better! 🙂

• meredith
      Feb 15, 2013 @ 21:05:56

Honestly, Jas… I think writing this article from the moment was a most caring action for readers. Thank you.

I hope you find a place of ease… the shock must be overwhelming. Have you gotten through the initial withdrawal?

I hope for a way to create open, ongoing dialogue here, on WordPress, about the ways we medicate to cope with trauma–without stigmas. I think we often feel shame because we ( I include myself, here) often respond to improper, or inappropriate treatment by self-medicating in ways that exacerbate our already compromised health. Why? Who knows? We’re too ashamed to talk. We’re afraid of being harmed in other ways–like losing respect from others.

I thank you so, so much for writing this post, Jas. You brought a feast to the table with this post.

Wishing you well-being,

Meredith

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:19:42

I appreciate that Meredith, I wouldn’t of published this normally. But it sounds like it’s good that it happened. * And I was given the courage do do so by looking around a bit on WordPress and finding your post! So it looks like you already are creating an open dialogue 🙂 I do like the idea. Bringing these things out into the open can only be empowering for us. Maybe you could find out how best to link related posts?

* I cheated with the withdrawal BTW, am using my drug stockpile to soften the blow. Still finding a balance, but getting there.

6. mummaz
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 13:58:38

Hope you`ve followed the right path by disposing of offending meds, another visit to the GP could offer an alternative, give it a try and find a comfortable balance of life that suits you

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:26:45

Yes thank you, I’m selling theunwanted pills on eBay!
      My GP says there’s no alternative. But one of my friends bought me some high powered Q-10 for my birthday, and they’ve really helped. Am also on various supplements, and other natural remedies.
      It is important to find a suitable balance, isn’t it.That’s what makes the holistic approach so important. It’s all about balance.

7. gita4elamats
    Feb 15, 2013 @ 03:02:24

Interesting info from Prof. Robert Spillane:

8. Trackback: the Medication Merry-Go-Round « Mama Bear Musings
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 01:44:16

You’ve got to be careful with drugs, any drug along the spectrum from Class A illegal, to legal and prescribed, changes your brain chemistry, and not in a good way. They all stop communication with other entities and divinities and dull your spiritual magick. Drug companies don’t need funding from you, take it it slow but sure but bin those drugs!!

Feb 20, 2013 @ 06:56:16

Thanks Jinxy, I do agree with you. The Tegretol gave me a fortnight’s hangover, and I don’t really drink. The long-term side effects that forced Modafinil off the shelves are scary. I’m starting to believe more and more that the drugs we’re fed are a method of social control. And like you said, they make money for Big Pharma.

* Have you seen the David Icke / Credo Mutwa video where he talks about the kids in Africa not being able to see spirits once they’d been inoculated? Makes you wonder what exactly they’e been inoculated against.

Feb 19, 2013 @ 05:51:23

Via FB :
    CB – “Ay Jas ♥, not good !!!
    1. Change your consultant.
    2. Have you thought to visit a ‘natural shop/web page, for alternative treatment. the reason I mention, my hubby has dementia. The ‘pill’ he was supplied with by a consultant, left him, ill most of the time, sleepless, angry, he was going through ‘hell’. So looked into ‘herbal’, now on Valerian omg, simply amazing!!!
    ♥ There’s always something, someone, out there to help, go for it ♥”

Independent Buddhist – “Sorry to hear that honey,seems drugs fix one thing but cause other problems, I tried stopping my meds once but within a week I was back in hospital so don’t do anything drastic. Hope they find a wonder drug soon. Am praying for you xxx”

Mar 03, 2013 @ 07:49:40

** FYI: The longer conversations dwindle off into nothing when viewed on mobile gadgets. Letter per line. It’s most bizarre. I’m straight now as well.

12. Trackback: British Vote on Europe ~ To Brexit or Bremain? | Cosmic Loti