Monkey! Now is the only Reality

“The future is a dream never realised.

The past is a phantom.

Ghosts and dreams.

Now is the only reality,

and you will need all of yourself to live it.”

Monkey! Present Reality

Image and Short video clip from the ’80’s Monkey! TV series.

“Forever is composed of nows.”
Emily Dickinson

“The living moment is everything.”
D.H. Lawrence

“I find that the past and the future are both easier to take if I live in the present,
free of temporal demons.”

Jas Baku

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past,
not to worry about the future, or not to anticipate troubles,
but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

Buddha

See Present Moment, Peaceful Moment for more on present moment mindfulness,
and Breathing Meditation by Gen Tharchin for a simple breathing meditation.

Video

1. katinkawonka
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 15:19:32

I love Emily… and Buddha of course! 🙂

2. meredith
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 15:35:03

Very cool share, Jas.

3. stockdalewolfe
    Feb 06, 2013 @ 18:09:18

Very choice selection of quotes, including yours! I posted the heart of a dying star video with Prof. Brian Cox, on my blog today. You probably saw the video but, if not, it’s at stockdalewolfe.com.

4. stockdalewolfe
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 14:11:49

Thought more about this post. A great challenge for me to live in the present. I live with lots of anxiety unless doing something creative– plagued by “temporal demons” as you say. Being creative is living in the present.

Feb 08, 2013 @ 14:30:54

Oh I know! It is challenging to ‘be present’, but the peace of mind it gives makes it worth the effort, doesn’t it? I find the creative process stills those demons, while allowing me to give something to others. I’m honoured you gave some space in your mind for this post _()_

5. Strawberryindigo
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 15:57:00

I truly believe that all that exists is NOW. It lightens my load but sometimes that monkey mind creeps in with the worry-worry-worry of tomorrow and yesterday…I need reminders, thanks for the reminder. 🙂 Beautiful quotes too.

Feb 08, 2013 @ 05:41:45

Nice one :), that Coco is the best!
    But how do you remember to remain mindful all the time, because I find it really difficult although I’d like to be able to be.

Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:41:16

Yes I’m fond of Monkey too 🙂 Being mindful is just a matter of practice.
      The more mindful we are, the more we’ll remember to be.
      Daily meditation practice is essential. The Breathing Meditation by Gen Tarchin is one of my favourites, but there are lots more, like the vipassana meditation of coming back to your body.
      Really, it’s just a matter of setting yourself the task of remaining mindful, I find verbalising it helps, and I’ve even written it on a mirror! Best of luck with it.