HAPPY NEW YEAR! * as the Old Year dies, can contemplating our own Demise make us Happy?

Excerpt from Amitabha Centre publicity: .

Death Med GKG text

Meditating on our own Death makes us Happy

It sounds counter-intuitive, but Buddha taught that meditating on the inevitability of our own demise is an uplifting experience. The death meditation being one of my favourites, I can definitely vouch for this.

To meditate on an idea or a course of action means to focus all of our attention on it. As Chönden said “to take it to heart“. He added that to focus our mind on our own death means to “follow the path of peaceful, positive minds.”

This is because thinking about death stops us from getting so uptight and stressed by things. It frees up space in our busy mind, so that there’s space for peace and feeling OK about life instead.

Death Meditation Analogy

For me it’s like clearing the internet browser’s cache when it gets overloaded and confused trying to deal with badly formatted and incomplete web pages. Emptying the computer’s cache is like clearing your mind from all those thoughts and worries, so it can start afresh.
And just as that makes surfing the web a lot smoother, a clear mind can relax and let go, because there’s no need to worry so much. Freeing our mind up from the daily stressors and concerns means we can “enjoy life instead of worrying about it.” Chönden

⌛    ✞    ⌚

Death course GKC

Personal experience of this on here: David Thomas on Buddhism and Looking Death Straight in the Eye

Continued here:
Make the Perfect New Year’s Resolution based on an Awareness o
f Death
and
Kill Procrastination ⌚ image

Brilliant article on Learning to meditate in 2013 from Kadampa Life

These notes taken in Gen Chönden’s first teaching on the death meditation at Amitabha Centre, new year’s eve.
Top image from Amitabha Centre publicity, click on it to make biG

Comment below ⤵ on this classic Buddhist meditation.

1. MYSOULSONICE
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 11:23:46

Jas Baku…
    Buddha really believed in memento mori.
    It is such a powerful thing to “remember death.”
    In essence, death wakes us up to life.

Have you ever seen the t.v. show Six Feet Under?
    “A drama series that takes a darkly comical look at members of a dysfunctional California family that runs an independent funeral home.”
    -Internet Movie Database

Taglines for
    “Six Feet Under” (2001)

Every Day Above Ground Is A Good One.

——————————————————————————–

How’s Death?

——————————————————————————–

Life is wasted on the living.

——————————————————————————–

Your whole life is leading up to this…

——————————————————————————–

Everything. Everyone. Everywhere. Ends.”

I definitely recommend watching it.
    It is brilliant.

Peace & Namaste.
    New Years blessing to you 😉

Jan 01, 2013 @ 17:30:33

It’s the elephant’s footprint isn’t it.
      You know ~ just as the elephant leaves the deepest footprint in the mud, so death meditation has the most effect on our minds.
      Thanks for the link, I’ve not seen the show, but it sounds interesting, so I’ll check it out. Wasn’t that Dexter’s last job? Dexter was just so cool. Superbly dark.

Jan 01, 2013 @ 18:57:03

The death meditation is probably my best one. 🙂 “I may die today, so I will devote my entire life to the practice of Dharma” – that’s it in a nutshell, and it’s defo an elephant’s footprint! thanks for sharing snippets of the teaching.

Jan 01, 2013 @ 20:49:56

Good you liked them Jinxy
      ╍●‿●╍ pt 2 coming tomorrow. I like your nutshell Dharma, but doesn’t include:
      • I may die
      • I don’t know when
      • I will practice Dharma purely now
      Doesn’t that that have more impetus? Your version doesn’t seem to include the uncertainty of our death-time. I dunno, what do you think?

• Jinxy
        Jan 03, 2013 @ 09:18:50

Yeah, tha’s more or less the official version, but “I may die today” makes it clear that “I could die at any time”. Yours is good but mine is shorter and easier to remember.

Jan 03, 2013 @ 11:10:04

That sounds like a Tsongkhapa statue comparison! Yes, I think both are valid and equally useful. Depends what floats your boat, doesn’t it 🙂
          (See reply in ‘Epilogue’)

3. Trackback: HAPPY NEW YEAR! Happy New Year of Blogging. « A Year Of Living Wisely
  4. Luna Kadampa
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 19:44:57

Brilliant analogy about the computer cache 🙂

Jan 01, 2013 @ 20:39:44

Thank you Luna ❤ That was blessings from clearing Mac's cache again, so that I could write this. Made me think how stupidly bogged down with things that aren’t working we get, and how a good, durable solution is needed.

5. Trackback: Make the Perfect New Year’s Resolution based on an Awareness of Death « Cosmic Loti
  6. Trackback: Kill Procrastination ⌚ image « Cosmic Loti