the Disastrous Behaviour of the Memory

Our mind creates the world we live in

Does our memory play tricks on us,
creating demons or divinities out of people?

How Our Memory Deceives Us

¸.• *
We are shaped by our thoughts;
we become what we think.”

Buddha

When we are thinking hateful things, lacerating ourselves with the bad things we ‘remember‘ people saying to us; we’re creating a most uncomfortable environment for ourselves (and those who come near us).

Alternatively, when our mind is pure, focussing on the good stuff instead,

joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

Buddha

So what do we choose?…

+ = ˚͜˚

The only way to attain the permanent peace of liberation, is to cultivate and increase our present peaceful minds.

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

Choose Life.
* the one we’re in now

nb. Our lives can be somewhat complicated, so I guess maybe we could think laterally with this one; applying it whenever we catch our minds diving into those ever decreasing circles?
What thinks you?

I don’t know, but the example conversation given in Ido Lanuels stunning graphic, doesn’t tend to happen with me so much.
I go for the miserable minds revolving round what people could’ve – should’ve told me – but didn’t.
And the lies people tell!

It’s different for everybody of course.
The bee in my bonnet presently is the deceit of Mandy in the café.
I struggle with her lies being mindlessly believed and repeated by others.
Can’t they see how much harm it does?

That example is more contextual than the graphic up there. But the effects are real enough. They make chasms between people, and a myriad of unseen negative effects.

And the conclusion is the same. The events are really only as I remember them; and they don’t exist anywhere but here in my mind.
So the same solution applies – whatever the gripe – we can choose to leave it behind, and choose instead a peaceful mind.

Whatever is is that’s bugging us then,
can be dissolved into peace with mindfulness.
Being alert for that familiar ghost train of thought – and diverting our mind to a positive or neutral thought as soon as we notice it.

(OK, not easy. But practice makes perfect, non? The trick is wanting to.)

The past doesn’t exist because it’s already gone.
The future is yet to come – it hasn’t even happened yet.
The present – each present moment – is basically all we can call our own.
And how soon is that gone too?

Worry pretends to be necessary but serves no useful purpose.”
Eckhart Tolle

You can use your life in a very useful and intelligent way.
You can very well transform that negative energy into a positive energy that empowers you and makes life meaningful
.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

✿ڿڰۣ(̆̃̃ღ

Credits:
This began as a reblog, so the title is Ido Lanuel‘s; but the post ran away with itself! Check out the link for the original piece.
Top quotes by Buddha, via @IdoLanuel,
and @Geshe_Kelsang, both on Twitter
Flower graphic and final quotes via MindBodyLove on Tumblr

(Click on images to make biG)

* for followers, this is take #3 of yesterday’s mis-published post.
Thanks for the likes from ellisnelson and betweentruthandhope, sorry to inconvenience yous, hope you like this one too!

Shanti
x

1. saymber
    Nov 11, 2012 @ 16:57:48

“We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think.“ – seems we are a similiar page in regards to the Law of Attraction and personal power over the life we manifest!

Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:50:20

Defo 🙂 But don’t you find that this belief system is multi-layered? (As, i suppose they all must be) This concept has been growing on me for years now, but I still feel like I’ve only gone a little way down the rabbit hole.

Nov 11, 2012 @ 22:02:17

Great article thanks, just what I needed to hear! But how would you dissolve those gripes into mindfulness? It sounds like something you’d want to do when your mind gets negative, anyway.

Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:02:19

Yes, I think diverting our mind away from negative trains of thought must always be a main practice for us. A la Geshe Chekhawa thrusting his spear of the opponent into the head of the delusions. That’s why I included my bugbear, to expand on the idea.
      Mindfulness depends upon being alert to when our minds are dipping into a negative state. (Mindfulness and Alertness are 2 mental factors essential for keeping a peaceful mind.) My preferred ways of diverting my mind are doing breathing meditation and reciting mantras. I like that we can do these two in formal meditation, or on the move. I tend to combine them, Tich Nhat Hanh gatha style. (Defo a future blog article!)

• Terry
        Nov 18, 2012 @ 16:02:06

Thank you all for your relevant and inetersting words. Like Kunzang, there are always relevant comments from you that give me good food for thought. Big Happy Buddha thanks for the support! 😄

Dec 03, 2012 @ 16:22:28

So happy to help Terry 🙂 It’s important that Dharma is relevant to you, or it won’t be put into practice. That’s a good point, thank you for making it.

3. Julia Kovach
    Dec 03, 2012 @ 14:38:00

Positive and powerful. Thank you for visiting my blog….I am so very pleased to meet such an amazing person….and a wonderful cosmic blogger! I’m looking forward to reading more. Take good care! xoJulia

Dec 03, 2012 @ 16:40:08

Thank you, and that’s right back at you 🙂 I just love spiritual teachings and want to share them with others. We can have so much control over our lives – not over what happens so much, but in how we react to what happens, which in turn creates the kind of world we all live in. I think that’s something we all need to know.

4. stockdalewolfe
    Dec 13, 2012 @ 18:39:28

I think of the top post a lot now whenever I find myself nursing anger or hurt. Very useful! Thanks for posting!

Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:12:13

Happy to be of help 🙂 It’s useful, isn’t it. Watching our mind is an essential tool for peace. I wish more folk would take responsibility for what goes on in their minds.

5. Trackback: Talk Yourself into a Better 2014 | Cosmic Loti